Monday, April 18, 2011

General Running Tips

I thought it might be a good idea to share some advice that I've come across in my years of running.

  1. Start off slow. It's easy to get injured if you start pushing yourself too hard, too early. Getting into a daily running routine after taking some time off, and getting into a daily running routine for the first time altogether are two different things. If you have never run before, you may want to limit yourself to a mile or two a day about 3 times a week. Take your time for the first month or two, and only increase mileage as you are comfortable. About a 10% increase in total mileage per 3 weeks is a good estimate.
  2. You need to stay hydrated and eat something before you run. Some of the hardest runs I have ever done were not the longest or fastest ones, they were the ones where I wasn't hydrated, or hadn't eaten anything in over 12 hours. You can look online to figure out how much water people recommend, but I just try and keep my urine on the clear side and not the Gatorade looking side. It took me a long time to realize that doing a long run without eating something a few hours before makes the second half significantly harder. Experiment with different foods to see which ones sit well and which ones give cramps and other problems. I personally like PBJ sandwiches.
  3. There are different theories on stretching before you run, but I think everyone would agree that stretching after and between runs helps a lot. For example, if your calves are tight, you may get shin splints. Stretching your calves for a few minutes during your day can help keep you healthy.
  4. Buy decent running shoes. You can go to somewhere like Runtex and let them show you which shoes you need. If you don't want to pay $120 for some shoes, write down the model and size you want and order them online for $60. I generally get about 400-600 miles out of a pair of shoes, or 1 year, whichever comes first.
  5. Whenever you get the chance, run on grass or dirt. Concrete and asphalt are a lot harder on your joints than grass is. Too much heavy running on hard surfaces can lead to injures like stress fractures. They just don't absorb any shock.
And finally, my running shoe brand of choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment